Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mid Term Projects

Today in class four groups in our class presented their mid term projects. Our project was to create a hands on lesson plan that had to do with physical science. We also had to present the safety procedures that go along with the lesson. The first group did an amazing job. Their project was working with magnets and if they repel, attract or do not attract. Each group was given different objects and a magnet to test them. A worksheet was given to fill out. They also made a poster of the safety concerns for their lab and for all labs. They went more in depth on the ones that had to do with their lab. I found that a washer, nail and paper clip all attract while chalk, bottle cap and a key do not. Another magnet repelled with the first magnet. The next group that went did the strength of an egg. It was a good experiment but they did not tell the class how it went with science or what standard it belonged into. They did not give any background on what the students were doing this experiment for. The third group gave their experiment on crushing a can using heat and then placing it in a cold ice bath. There experiment was for the 8th grade. I thought it was a cool experiment but I could not see it happening from where I was sitting so I did not get to see the whole experiment. They did cover the safety procedures such as do not touch the hot plate and wear goggles. The last group to go was doing solid and liquids for second grade. I think that it was age appropriate but they should have had more to their experiment. Children in second grade should know what a solid and a liquid is. It would have been neat to change things from a solid to a liquid. Overall, today I learned some neat lesson plans that will be fun to incorporate into my classroom at different grade levels.

No comments: