Today we did not have class so we did an online assignment. Our assignment was to do a web-based take home lab. In this lab we had to test weights on springs. The site had different size weights and one spring you could adjust the softness and on all three springs you could adjust the friction.
The first test I tried was putting the 100 grams on spring number two with a friction of ten. The spring was about 25 cm from where it originally started. This gave no bounce after the weight was put on. It just fell straight down. Next, I tested the 100 gram weight on the second spring with the friction of five. This time the weight again fell 25cm from the starting point but it had much more bounce. It bounced more than ten times. First it bounced fast and then bounced slower as time went on. The third test I tried I again used spring number two and the 100 gram weight but placed the friction at zero. This time the weight would not quit bouncing for there to be a record of how low the spring went. It looked to be about down to 30 cm.
The next ting I wanted to test was what does the softness of spring number three do to the amount of inches the spring falls when a 250 gram weight is put on it. The friction was kept at a five for all three trials. So, for the first test I placed the softness to a ten. The results were that the spring stretched all the way out to more than 50 cm. The results went of the screen. Next, I tested the softness at a five. When the softness was at five it fell to around 27 cm. Next, the spring softness was placed on ten. The spring hardly went anywhere. The spring fell to around 5cm.
This lab was a fun way to see what we are going to be learning in class and a fun way to have us learn something even though we did not have class today.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nice blog posts, Jessica. Check out D2L for the background info on Springs and Forces. Keep up the good work.
Dr. E.
Post a Comment